Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lazy Weekend?

I guess this all depends on your idea of lazy. For me, it simply means that I had two entirely blank days on my calendar. You have no idea how rare that is and I don't say this to imply that I am popular or anything so silly as that. I have a problem saying no. It is a completely sentence. Anne Lamott said that when I heard her speak once. I have to tell myself over and over. I also have a problem sitting still.

So. Here I was faced with TWO days. What did I do, you might ask?
  • In lieu of actually buying the sectional sofa that I would like, I re-arranged the furniture in the family room and am trying to tell myself it is just as fabulous.
  • I painted a tie for hubby to wear as 'art' at a fundraiser next weekend (art clothing is suggested). It looks pretty cool really, I will post photos of us after the event.
  • Started working on perhaps my 3rd idea of an outfit for myself for same event. UGH. A seamstress I am not, you all know that. I feel like just wearing the cute vintage slipdress (that I bought (before I knew there was a theme) with my painting shirt over it as a wrap. Hmmmm.....
  • Considered project for my TV gig on Thursday. Took no action.
  • Gessoed 12 substrates.
  • Worked on my first knitted garment, a shawl. It is proceeding well, but I have a long way to go.
  • Cleaned a closet.
  • Called my Mom.
  • Did laundry.
  • Made my fave chicken salad. Here's what you do: using leftovers from a good roasted chicken, pull the meat apart using two forks. This is important. Don't chop it up. Mix with Hellman's Mayo, slivered almonds, dried mixed berries, tarragon. Yum.
  • Cooked dinner. This was unusual because John has been cooking lately. I made up a recipe that was actually pretty good, not to mention quick. I will do it again. Here's the deal: Make some Israeli Pearl Couscous (use low fat chicken broth) and allow to sit. In a deep sided skillet, brown scallops (I wash and dry them, then toss in flour and salt & pepper lightly) in olive oil. Three minutes on one side, two on the other. Put in a 200 oven to keep warm, foil on top. Take a chopped shallot and some butter and throw it into same skillet. Cook for awhile, then pour some white wine (whatever you're having w/dinner - for us it was a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc) into the skillet. This will sizzle and allow you to scrape those brown tasty bits (from the scallops) off the bottom. Put chopped tomatoes and chopped artichokes into skillet, add some capers and crushed red pepper to taste. Spritz of Meyer Lemon. Taste and adjust as necessary. To assemble - Place Couscous in a deep bowl. Put fresh baby spinach on top. Put skillet mix on top of spinach and then place scallops on top. Drizzle some Pomegranite Balsamic reduction syrup (if you have it) on top and another spritz of lemon. Serve with crusty bread. It was seriously good. 
  • Ran errands. Note to self - never go to Costco on Saturday.
  • Worked on Blog - see the link to order my book on sidebar - you can order from me or Amazon, but I send a gift so check it out.
  • Worked on Upcoming Classes, descriptions, etc.
  • Did some more stencil design.
Good thing I didn't have anything to do, huh?

2 comments:

  1. Love Ann Lamott, she makes me think and laugh all at the same time.
    So excited to read your book, I'll be placing my order pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't really seem like a lazy weekend, but tasks that are satisfying to the soul.

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)