Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Waxy Meltdown

In a good way, of course! I am talking about Encaustics! Yum. I have been aware of encaustics for years; to be truthful, I have avoided them because it is kind of expensive (for one thing) and I also didn't want to be distracted from my regular work.
Well. I had an opportunity to play a few months ago when my friend Julie invited me to her fully functioning encaustic studio. It was too fun for words. I was instantly smitten.
12" x 6" encaustic with collage
I have been playing on my own now. A lot - yeah, I'm a little obsessive that way. But you knew that. Anyhoo, here is one of my new ones, very neutral, also a mix of smooth and textured effects. And see those little round things? They are palette pieces, snipped from my dried palette - I have a lot of them that I've been saving just because they are cute. I actually didn't even use the painted side here (silly girl) as the back side had a look I preferred.

4" x 4" encaustic, click to enlarge
I posted this one (above) on Facebook and it was selected as the 'fave' by a number of people. That is my new baby stencil there at the bottom. Also at the top of the piece shown above. Wow do I ever love how those stencils work with the hot wax. Anyway, I like this piece too although it wasn't my fave, don't know why.
This one is maybe my fave. I think I mainly like the color, I was mixing the wax right on the palette and loved the way the colors merge up.
4" x 4" encaustic, click to enlarge
One of my favorite things about the encaustic work is the blowtorch. Whoa is it ever cool, well, not really cool, but you know what I mean.  Of course I am making John a wreck about it as I am sure he envisions his absent minded wife with a blowtorch and who knows where his brain wonders. I am careful and responsible though. I wasn't in the insurance claim biz 18 years for nothin'!!
If you also love Encaustics or want to try it for the first time, you might consider attending Encausticamp this year. I will be there (assisting Judy Wise,  oh be still my heart). I think it will be hothothot, literally and figuratively of course.

3 comments:

  1. I had never heard of it before, sure looks great though. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:43 AM

    I absolutely love the creativity of your work and the first work here is fantastic.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to take an encaustic workshop with you & Sistah Judy! Too bad it is so far away from Florida!

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)