Monday, January 25, 2010

Mixed Media Art for Gateway Pet Guardians, woof woof























I have switched from cats to dogs this week, all for the purpose of Gateway Pet Guardians, a wonderful local rescue run by my friend (and jeweler extraordinaire) Amie Simmons. They are having a fundraiser in February, you can check out their blog to find out more information about tickets where you can bid on this piece and others.

The dogs in my collage painting are real pups that Amie and gang rescued - she had a 'Meet and Greet' several months ago so that artists could actually meet some of her dogs and hopefully make a piece incorporating them. It was hard to get them to sit still (!) but I managed to snap these shots and then make my painting using my own photography, simplistic as it is, tee, hee.

It is such a small world, you know? It was years ago, when I first learned of Bernie Berlin and her rescue down in TN. I donated art for an auction and have since donated funds to help her rescue. She does such an amazing job (click here for her site - she has just rescued a huge batch of puppies and oh my oh my does she need help right now - donate if you can!). So anyhoo, I guess Amie read my blog, saw that post about Bernie's rescue and loved the idea of linking dogs and rescue and art......she was so impressed she decided to start a similar effort here in St. Louis. And now I help both of them because there is nothing I love more than critters.

And speaking of helping, I have also donated a piece to the Sheldon Concert Hall for their Haiti fundraiser, which is a concert and art auction. If you happen to be local, here's the scoop:

The St. Louis Musicians for Haiti concert • 7:30 p.m. Feb. 9, Sheldon Concert Hall. Performing are Christine Brewer and Peter Henderson, Brian Owens, Mayor Taylor, the Bottoms Up Blues Band, Peter Martin, Mardra Thomas and Reggie Thomas, and Kim Massie. Julius Hunter hosts. Tickets $15, on sale at MetroTix outlets, metrotix.com, by calling 314-534-1111, and at the Fox Theatre box office. Proceeds from the presentation benefit Doctors Without Borders.

5 comments:

  1. OMG! I love it! I don't think it could be any cuter and you are so busy and donate so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this! I forgot that I found Bernie Berlin through you. She is my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the piece!! And Bernie is an amazing woman! Thanks for the links.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's such a happy piece, mary beth. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure this piece is going to rock the casba. I love it! I think one of the great joys of art is being able to create and able to help others in the process. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore this piece! It should be made into a poster for the shelter - to even sell copies for a fundraiser. It is so precious. Well done! BTW - I found you through Pinterest.
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)