Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Squam






Such a conundrum as to how and where to start when talking about Squam.

First of all, I didn't take enough pictures of my classes. I got all wrapped up in the experience, which is good, but forgot to pick up my camera nearly as much as I would have liked. This 1st pic shows some work from Day 1.

Some of these other photos were sent to me from BJ Lantz, an extraordinary talent who happened to be in my class on day 1(the last picture is her work). She is a sweetie although she did snicker when I ate dessert instead of a meal on Friday night. I would urge you to click on over to her blog to see more photos because she documented the overall experience quite well.

The 2nd picture is Morgan (facing) and Angel (hard at work) making book covers in the Painting without Paint class. Ok, so I guess its a silly class name, huh? But I was trying to prove that you can achieve painterly effects without even using paint. As evidenced by Angel's work. She has such a lovely hand, I truly believe she should do illustration as I could see a children's book in her future, wink, wink.

Finding words about Squam is tough though. Here I am, a week later, still feeling its effects.
I am Joyful. Blissed out. Invigorated. Inspired. And all this after teaching 3 days straight and driving 1500 miles!?! It is that good. Evidence by the incredible sunrise picture that I took. Yep, I leaped out of bed on the final day and ran down to to dock in my flannel jammies to witness this beauty. I think there must be something in the air that makes you gaga while you are there, ha!



Much more than an art retreat, the spirit of Squam runs deep yet simultaneously
uplifts if that makes any sense at all.

Today I honestly feel like I am a new person, a better version of my previous self. Maybe sounds woo-woo, but truly, that's how I feel.

I am just so grateful - to all my wonderful students, my roommates at the Eldorado, my bunkie Peg and especially to Elizabeth - what magic she creates!

7 comments:

  1. Wow--I had no idea this was such a beautiful place! I had never heard of Squam before, but now that I have, it certainly seems like something to put on my "bucket list." Looks like everyone was in art heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the beauty of Squam very well. It was amazing and I hope to return again and again.

    Yes, what a wonderful life to live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I most certainly did not sicker over your dessert vs. dinner choice ~ I was jealous :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. aawww mary beth...your words are so kind. i actually came over to your blog to gush about you for a minute. your class totally rocked! I loved all of the new information from you on products, and you opened up real playtime for me. thank you for the gift of yourself and art, and it was great meeting you too. hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel very much the same way as you, Mary-Beth, coming back from Squam. I am energized, brimming with inspiration, and joyful about all the wonderful connections I have made. Life changing were the words some of last years participants used and I wondered before I left if that would be the case for me too. Like you, I feel changed - I feel like a shinier version of myself - like Squam gave me a super buff job like Judy does on her wax pieces !
    Here"s to keeping tha glow alive as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful photos! great to meet you at squam.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear MB, I'm am sooo behind in reading my blogs- away for too long with mom-illness business. gong into your archives! Trying to catch up. Felt so good to be taken back to Squam again. The photos, ahhhh. Best, Peg

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)